On the morning of July 25th, 2012, my life was turned upside down in a matter of hours. FBI agents from around Washington and Oregon and Joint Terrorism Task Force agents from Washington busted down the front door of my house with a battering ram, handcuffed my house mates and me at gunpoint, and held us hostage in our backyard while they read us a search warrant and ransacked our home. They said it was in connection to May Day vandalism that occurred in Seattle, Washington earlier this year. However, we suspected that this was not really about broken windows. As if they had taken pointers from Orwell’s 1984, they took books, artwork and other various literature as “evidence” as well as many other personal belongings even though they seemed to know that nobody there was even in Seattle on May Day. While we know that knowledge is powerful, we suspected that nobody used rolled up copies of the Stumptown Wobbly to commit property damage. We saw this for what it was. They are trying to investigate anarchists and persecute them for their beliefs. This is a fishing expedition. This is a witch hunt. Since then, thanks to a Freedom of Information Act request, we have learned that this Grand jury was convened on March 2nd, 2012, two months before the May Day vandalism even took place.
I was served a subpoena to testify before a Grand Jury on August 2nd, a week later. I hastily packed my life up into boxes, got rid of almost all of my personal belongings in preparation of incarceration. I was dismissed that day after refusing to testify and re-subpoenaed for August 30th, which was pushed back to September 13th. In that time I did a lot of self care, got my affairs in order and got advice from other people who have either resisted Grand Juries, gone to prison or both. I returned to the Grand Jury on September 13th where I was granted immunity. When you are granted immunity, you lose your right to remain silent and can be thrown into prison for civil contempt. Between consulting with my attorney and an hour long recess, I narrowly avoided a contempt hearing simply because they ran out of time. I was dismissed and was told I would receive my 4th subpoena. I walked out of the courthouse just in time to witness Matthew Kyle Duran, my fellow resister, being taken away to prison in a police van. It broke my heart to watch them kidnap an amazing and strong person and take him away from his friends and loved ones. Katherine “Kteeo” Olejnik has met a similar fate for refusing to testify on September 27th. Right now, Matt and Kteeo are both sitting in prison cells for doing nothing but remaining silent. I have nothing but love and admiration for them both and I know that thousands of others feel the same. On the drive home that night my brain felt like it was short circuiting. A few days later, I received notice that my next subpoena was for October 10th. They also notified my lawyer that they were preparing for a contempt hearing.
Court dates aside, my life has been a roller coaster. Thanks to unrelated events, I have suffered with severe depression and PTSD for many years. These are now much worse and new things trigger me. For a while after the raid, I was in a constant state of panic and I could barely eat. Every time someone knocked on the door, every time I heard any sort of loud sound in my house, my heart sank and I thought “they’ve come for me.” To the day of this writing, I haven’t slept a full night since that cold July morning thanks to nausea inducing anxiety that wakes me up between 4:00 and 7:00 every single morning. After a couple months, the initial panic has faded into grim acceptance. Despite my mental health issues, I never once considered co-operation and never would. It is against everything I believe in. On my right arm I have a tattoo reading “strive to survive causing least suffering possible.” This is something I live by every single day and will continue to live by whether I am in a cage or not.
I cannot express in words how grateful I am to all those who have shown us support and solidarity, especially our friends, partners and loved ones. We will all get through this together. I know I am a broken record with the following sentiment, but I feel like it’s worth repeating. They want us to feel isolated, alone and scared. I know that even though Kteeo has been held in what is essentially solitary confinement, she does not feel alone. I know that Matt does not feel alone. I know that I will not feel alone. When they try to mercilessly gut communities, we do not scatter, we grow stronger, we thrive. I view this State repression like this: The State thinks it is a black hole that can destroy whatever it wants. In reality, it is much more like a stellar nursery, wherein it unintentionally creates new, strong anarchist stars.
I do not look forward to what inevitably awaits me today, but I accept it. I ask that people continue to support us throughout this process by writing us letters, sending us books, donating and spreading awareness.
My convictions are unwavering and will not be shaken by their harassment. Today is October 10th, 2012 and I am ready to go to prison.
Love and solidarity to all those who resist,
Forever in silence.
- oldphysicality likes this
- cannibalvulva likes this
- whispywillow likes this
- poweradepuke reblogged this from leahxvx
- dhdare reblogged this from leahxvx
- 4702 likes this
- mybrainonme reblogged this from leahxvx
- oyun-fakultesi likes this
- oyun-fakultesi reblogged this from leahxvx
- vegansister likes this
- cat--naps likes this
- facingitalone reblogged this from leahxvx
- hystericalconcubine likes this
- coffeenervesandcigarettes reblogged this from leahxvx
- xhan145 reblogged this from leahxvx and added:
- xhan145 likes this
- sapi0phile reblogged this from leahxvx
- catsandcuriosity likes this
- thebadword likes this
- nextinoffice likes this
- olldddddddunf0fllowww reblogged this from skullxcrusher
- smashataw likes this
- nirvanaholik likes this
- forgivenessneverwasguaranteed reblogged this from paulbaribeau and added:
- tidbitsandshits likes this
- everything-is-brilliant reblogged this from leahxvx
- emptyformsemptyform reblogged this from ramshackleglory
- humainsvolants likes this
- thefuturecrayon reblogged this from alice-and-stuff
- sara-sonic reblogged this from leahxvx
- soearth reblogged this from leahxvx
- jemexcusemaman likes this
- kurt-penberg reblogged this from leahxvx
- kurt-penberg likes this
- xkitchennoisex reblogged this from leahxvx
- deadisbeautylost likes this
- sent2mental reblogged this from leahxvx
- annilexia reblogged this from leahxvx
- ifeelsicktomystomachh likes this
- counteverybeautifulthingwesee likes this
- tacobelligerent reblogged this from leahxvx and added:
- iturnedintoamartin likes this
- ramshackleglory reblogged this from chrisclavin
- ar-zeus likes this
- planetofthefakes likes this
- riidethectrain likes this
- bobloblaws-lawbl0g reblogged this from leahxvx and added:
- thecfw reblogged this from leahxvx
- thecfw likes this